Thursday, July 21, 2011

A glimpse into my new world

After living in DC officially for two whole weeks now, I had my first cupcake from Georgetown Cupcakes.  Those that know me well know that I have a bit of an obsession for cake and cupcakes (and frosting!) that, if left uncontrolled, could send me spiraling back to Lane Bryant.  I try to keep this obsession in check and only go in the name of research or when a situation decidedly calls for that righteous mixture of butter, eggs, flour, and powdered sugar (i.e. intense law school finals, my birthday, and um... whenever the hell I feel like it.)  I tried to keep it in moderation, and sometimes that moderation just means trying to balance the calories with an intense spin class or something similar.  But, I digress.  Bottom line is that I love the heck out of some cake: sheet or individual party size.  I've done some research across the country, and so far, the cupcakeries that top my list are Billy's Bakery in NYC and Cupcakes on Kavanaugh (and its offspring) in Little Rock.  Georgetown Cupcakes is the bakery featured on TLC's "DC Cupcakes," a show that I find particularly annoying that features two sisters who run the bakery and bicker all the time.  If I wanted to be among bickering sisters, I'd take a time machine back to 1990 and relive my own personal experiences.  Anyway, the cupcakes were decent, but as many Yelp reviewers stated, decidedly unworthy of the long lines that tend to queue up outside of the small building in Georgetown proper.  I will give extra mention to the strawberry cupcake, which I found to be quite scrumptious.  I'll save judgment for the peanut butter swirl, as I'm saving that for tomorrow (if I can manage to maintain that willpower.)  I've since heard that there was a Sprinkles cupcake bakery on the same row as GC, and I suppose that new information calls for another exploratory mission!!

Incidentally, speaking of cupcakes, I've heard people say that the cupcake "was good but had too much frosting."  Too much frosting??!!  You might as well say that there's such thing as too much fun, sex, rock n' roll, pie, love, sunshine, cute babies, shopping, shoes... need I go on??

Anyway, so I created this blog to discuss my new life in DC for any who may be interested.  There were several topics that I thought about discussing on this maiden blog (crazy DC drivers, the fact that I've stayed perpetually lost the entire time I've been here, the road trip out here, etc), and all of those things may come up eventually, but I at least wanted to get the ball rolling, and today I wanted to talk about cupcakes.  And it's hot.  But everyone else knows that because the entire country (save for the NW) is hot.  Hotter than donut grease at a cop convention.  Hotter than two rats bumpin' in a wool sock...  Hotter than a billy goat in a jalepeno pepper patch....  Um.  Friggin hot.

Anyway, life is grand, and I'm getting settled in here.  School doesn't start until August 29, so that gives me plenty of time to become acclimated to my new territory, so hopefully I'll be on autopilot by that point and not have to think about it so much and just focus on school.  Guests are starting to arrive as of this weekend.  Collette and Natalie were the first official visitors and helped me immensely in getting settled in to this amazing place.  My good buddy Matt Sharp from college (et al) is coming up from VA Tech this weekend.  If the river is not boiling hot, we intend to hit this margarita moonlight cruise on the Potomac to meet other young professionals and see the city in style!  On tap coming up is the "Late Night Murder Mystery and Crime Solving Scavenger Hunt at the Museum of Crime and Punishment" with new friends.  

So, that's a good start.  I hope to update this frequently, but I may not always stay "on topic."  :-)  Cheers from the nation's capital!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Matt is coming to see you. I thought maybe he was close enough to make easy for you guys to get together. Your place sounds wonderful, and I'm totally amazed that you had everything unpacked and put away so quickly. I've lived in my condo for almost two years now, and there are boxes that I haven't opened and may never open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere! I love cake, too, but it sounds like you and Dominique might share it as an obsession. Have you tried the Red Velvet Cake ones (I capitalized it because I have *that* much respect for RVC.) Keep those stories coming!

    ReplyDelete